Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken & Pasta

I'll start by saying...this recipe is far from "fat-free".  That being said, the flavor in this crock pot dish is fantastic.  I stole this recipe from http://crockpotgirls.com/ but I can't find it on their site right now.  When I snagged it, it was still a new, nameless recipe.  I've since dubbed it, "Creamy Chicken & Pasta."

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I use two...because I'm cheap)
1-10 oz. tub of Philly Tomato Basil cream cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup velveeta shreds (I use shredded mozza)
1/2 onion, cut into thin rings
2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
1 cup carrot chips

Mix all ingredients in the crock pot.  Add the chicken.  Cook on high for 4-6 hours.  I personally find that this is too long on high.  I would cook it on high for 3 hours or low for 4-5 hours.  Before serving, remove the chicken and shred.  Add shredded chicken back into sauce.  Serve over angel hair pasta.

I'm not able to get the Tomato Basil cream cheese in our store so I just use the Herb & Garlic.  I've never heard of Velveeta shreds and I'm not sure if they are available in Canada.  I think that the original recipe was intended to serve one whole chicken breast with each pasta serving and sauce.  I shred the chicken and throw it back in so I can get away with adding less chicken.  Last night when I made this I threw a bunch of sliced mushrooms in at the beginning.  It was definitely a hit all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment