Monday, October 31, 2011

The Best Easy Beef and Broccoli

I stumbled onto a recipe today that I didn't plan on making.  My original intention for supper tonight was stew and biscuits.  But somehow my stew beef went missing between picking it up at the meat department to getting home.  It's not on my grocery bill so obviously one of the kids wasn't looking forward to stew and ditched it before the grocery till :)
On short notice, I had to come up with something else.  I had broccoli in my fridge that was needing to be used up.  I also had a couple of frozen steaks in my freezer.  I googled, "Beef and Broccoli" and may have come up with one of our favorite new recipes.  It is easy and doesn't use any unusual ingredients.  I found it on www.chinese.food.com but it shows the recipe originally came from Taste of Home.

3 tbsp. cornstarch, divided
1/2 cup water plus 2 tbsp, divided
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 lb. boneless round steak, cut into 3" strips
2 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
4 cups broccoli florets
1 small onion, cut in to wedges
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. ground ginger

In a bowl, combine 2 tbsp. cornstarch, 2 tbsp. water and garlic powder in a small bowl and mix until smooth.

Add beef and toss.

In a large skillet or wok over medium high heat, stirfry beef in 1 tbsp. oil  until beef reaches desired doneness.  Remove from pan and keep warm.

Stirfry broccoli and onion in remaining oil for 4-5 minutes.

Return beef to pan.

Cook and stir for 2 minutes.  Serve over hot rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment