Sunday, April 25, 2010

Grilled Chicken & Veggie Pizzas

We got our BBQ out from storage a few weeks ago and have enjoyed pulling out a few of our "summer" recipes. This is a favorite of ours. This is my own adapted version of a vegetarian recipe from the Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook - Celebrating the Promise Limited Edition, pg 340. I add grilled chicken but you could easily substitute shrimp.

The day I made these pizzas we were having company for supper. I prepared the veggies and chicken earlier in the afternoon. I mixed with the mayo and pesto right before I threw them on the grill. I had this post in mind while I was preparing them but apparently I forgot to take some pictures of the finished product once the company was here. Another day I'll try and get a few pictures of the actual pizzas. I've also noticed from the pictures that I must have had some extra asparagus that day. The asparagus was a nice touch!


2 chicken breasts
1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise
1 small yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise
1 small red pepper, quartered lengthwise
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 large ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
1/4 c. mayonnaise
3 tbsp. purchased basil pesto ( I use the Epicure Pesto Mix)
4 6- to 7-inch pita breads or individual pizza crusts
1 c. shredded mozzarella or smoked provolone


1. Brush zucchini, summer squash, and sweet pepper with olive oil; sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Grill vegetables and chicken, allowing 8-10 minutes for sweet pepper and 5-6 minutes for zucchini and summer squash. Remove vegetables and chicken from grill.
















2. Chop grilled vegetables and chicken. In a medium bowl combine chopped vegetables, chicken, tomato, mayonnaise, and pesto. Spread mixture over one side of the pitas. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Place on grill rack. Cover and grill for 2-3 minutes or until pitas are slightly toasted, vegetables are heated, and cheese melts. Carefully remove from grill. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce to medium. Cover and grill vegetables and pitas as above.)

No comments:

Post a Comment