Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Chicken Enchilladas - New Recipe #1

I am pleased to say that the first of my experimental recipes went really well today.

I first fell in love with enchilladas after ordering them at Moxie's about five or six years ago. I right away went home and starting looking for a recipe. I've had my enchillada recipe that I've been using since then and it is always met with rave reviews. My original recipe has a cream filling but tonight's was mostly tomato and only slightly creamy.

I didn't think that my kids would be crazy about it but my three year old son told me that it was a good supper and my one year old daughter sat in her high chair and continued to eat for about half an hour. Apparently this recipe is also kid-friendly.

This recipe comes from Allrecipes.com and the only changes I made to it was to adjust the chili powder to suit my family's tastes (about 3/4 tsp.) and I used red/orange/yellow peppers instead of green since they aren't a favorite of mine. I also shredded the chicken instead of cubing it as this was mentioned in one of the reviews on this recipes.
We ate this with rice and corn and it was fantastic!

Chicken Enchilladas
(4 servings)
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup water
1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons chopped green bell pepper
1/2 clove garlic, minced
4 (10 inch) flour tortillas
1/2 (12 ounce) jar taco sauce
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a medium, non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook chicken until no longer pink and juices run clear. Drain excess fat. Cube the chicken and return it to the skillet. Add the onion, sour cream, Cheddar cheese, parsley, oregano and ground black pepper. Heat until cheese melts. Stir in salt, tomato sauce, water, chili powder, green pepper and garlic.
  3. Roll even amounts of the mixture in the tortillas. Arrange in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover with taco sauce and 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered in the preheated oven 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Original Recipe found at: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Enchiladas-I/Detail.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment